It has been a while since my last update – over a year – but during that time I have managed to stay on schedule. Right now I am a little over halfway through part 2 (which will be around as long as the six chapters in part 1). Part 3 will not be nearly as long as parts 1 and 2, and more like a series of epilogues or addendums. The book is going well (as far as I can judge😊). The story is mapped-out in my head, but still there is a long way to go. I promise to keep plugging away.
I am now finished with the first third of book three (six chapters). During the rest of April and the month of May (2021) I will be going back to it for the second rewrite/first edit, and to see, in general, where I am at. I am considering making a stylistic change for part 2, but I still have around six weeks of procrastination to reconsider (chicken out, that is).
Downloads are now possible again.
I only just realized that there was a problem with them. It apparently occurred when I attached an SSL Certificate to my webpage for security reasons. The new address is https:// instead of http://.
Google Chrome announced that they will no longer allow downloads from unsecured pages. The problem lay, as far as I could tell, in my old internal links (some went back to 2014). These are closed now, replaced by new links to the bundles.
I have tested downloads on Chrome, Safari, and Edge, and all seem to be in working order, show secure, and confirm that my SSL Certificate is valid. If you have any difficulties downloading, please write me at firstname.lastname@example.org
I’ve changed the downloads to bundles – one mobi and one epub each. It is something I’ve been planning to do for a while, but because of the problem mentioned above, I decided to do so now. You can use them both or just delete the one you don’t use. Just unzip and you will find both formats in the inner folder.
I have been working on book three since the summer of last year. I have finished (and first-time corrected) chapters one and two. Upon completion of TROTI, I took (a much needed) seven-month hiatus from writing. I used the time to recover a bit and to map-out the new book in my head. More difficult was actually getting going on it.
The first three months of writing were slow, sporadic, and laborious. I then began to get into a rhythm, and now I am on a disciplined five session per week schedule. Some days are still better than others, but apparently, for me, this is how it always is going to be.
The third book is set 800 years after the second book, well into the Second Empire Era. I have a tentative title for the book (but I do not like it very much, and will probably not use it). If anyone has a good idea for a title, send it along to the administrator (me) of this web-page. I promise to duly credit you for any good idea I appropriate.
The third edition of The Robots of the Interregnum is now available for download.
This edition incorporates a list of 188 corrections sent to me by John E. Wulff. It was a lot of effort on his part, and I thank him profoundly for all the work he put into it. I did not use every correction. There were occasional instances where I was not quite in agreement with him. But I did use over 90% of his suggestions, and I also found a few of my own.
The majority of corrections were omitted words (usually small connecting words like articles, prepositions, and pronouns). The next biggest group was comprised of words that my spell-checker could not find (like using the in place of they). Additionally, there were more than a few embarrassments (such as using polls for the word poles). I also learned that forbearers and forebearers are not English words (although there is some doubt about the latter). The correct word (I found out) is forebears. The same process occurred with a few other words I inadvertently made up.
There was one other change I made to the text: a certain statement of probabilities that one of my characters asserted. This according to John (who is a scientist) was patently false. So he asked me to correct it, and I did. John knows what it is, and so do I. If you can spot it, please send a short note to this webpage’s administrator (me) or write it up in a comment.
Once again, I want to thank John for his comprehensive editorial work. I hope the reader finds this edition much improved.
The second edition of The Robots of the Interregnum is now available for download. This edition corrects some of my minor typographical errors from the first edition. Sincere thanks to Attila Torkos for his eagle-eyed editorial expertise.
I have opened a book review page for anyone who wishes to review the books. Just click on Book Reviews at the top of the page. All book reviews (including negative and caustic ones) will be approved as long as a civil tone is maintained. This is not Twitter!
Available for download…
I’m ready to begin the final corrections on the last chapter of the Robots of the Interregnum, so I am still on schedule. Barring unforeseen complications, I hope to have the book out next month, December 2018. It’s been a long haul, and I am glad to get to the end. I plan to begin book three sometime in the late winter of 2019. The first book took five years to write, and I am approaching the same for book two. I imagine book three will be more of the same.